My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns - George Eliot
Here is your chance to ready your home for cold weather, Vancouver rains, and all that Fall & Winter have to offer. As the seasons change, once again it's time to perform some home maintenance.
Here are 10 yearly tasks that will help keep your household in working order when the temperatures drop.
1. Clean Gutters: Do so frequently. Clogged gutters can result in standing water and roof damage. Plus, if you clean them frequently, you're less likely to have to deal with decomposing leaves.
2. Mow and trim: It seems counter intuitive, but Fall is a wonderful time to both fertilize and reseed your lawn. A maintained lawn improves a home's value and saleability. Use this time to trim shrubs and grass one last time so that your yard stands out, even in a dormant season.
3. Prune trees: With Winter comes ice. With ice comes broken limbs. Take advantage of nice weather and cut back or remove precarious limbs. It only takes one heavy snow or ice to weigh down a limb and damage property.
4. Powerwash: Driveways, sidewalks, decks, and patios can get quite grimy during the summer months. Invest in a powerwasher and you'll be surprised how clean you can get them!
5. Outdoor Living: Some furniture is made to be stored during rainy or snowy seasons. Clear a place in your garage or shed for the items. Consider covering them with a tarp and storing cushion in vacuum seal bags.
6. Heating Systems: Check furnaces and change filters. Not only will it boost efficiency, but it will also save you money in the process.
7. Check for Leaks: Recaulk around windows and doors to help prevent heat from escaping.
8. Fireplace: You don't want a chimney fire. Be sure to have your chimney swept or cleaned each year.
9. Piping: Check pipes for insulation to prevent freezing and bursting.
Every season holds different responsibilities for a homeowner. Be sure to stay on top of tasks each season to maintain your home's value!